Have you been bothered by tiny specks, cobweb-like patterns, small rings, or odd lines that are suddenly disturbing your vision? These visual nuisances are called floaters. Floaters are quite common, and in the majority of cases are completely harmless. The best way to diagnose and properly handle your floaters is to come visit us in our Mt. Pleasant, PA office for a complete eye exam by H. Arnold Papernick OD.
A highly experienced optometrist, Dr. Papernick is no stranger to hearing patient questions and complaints about eye floaters. As a popular and prominent eye doctor in Mt. Pleasant, rest assured he will provide a thorough eye exam utilizing state-of-the-art eye care technology and will answer all of your questions about eye floaters with his unique combination of optometry care and patience.
What Causes Eye Floaters?
The material that much of your eyes are filled with is the vitreous. It has a gel-like consistency and helps keep the rounded shape of your eyeballs. When the vitreous begins to change, it can cause eye floaters. The following are some common causes of eye floaters.
- Advancement of age. Floaters most commonly begin to affect your vision between the ages of 50 and 70.
- Being nearsighted. Floaters are more prevalent in nearsighted people.
- If you have ever undergone cataract surgery or if you suffer from diabetes, the chances of developing floaters may increase.
- Inflammation of the eyes can release debris into your vitreous material. This debris will appear to you as floaters. An eye infection may also cause this debris-releasing issue, also causing the appearance of eye floaters.
- Bleeding in the eye. If your eye is bleeding from damage to the blood vessels, blood cells can be seen as floaters.
Diagnosing and Treating Floaters
If you begin seeing specks in your vision, visit our eye doctor in Mt. Pleasant right away. We will perform an eye exam to determine the cause of your floaters. Often, floaters don’t require treatment and will go away on their own. However, in more serious cases, you may need surgery.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Optometrist
If you are experiencing eye floaters, we can help. At H. Arnold Papernick OD in Mt. Pleasant, PA, we will diagnose and treat eye floaters if necessary. We offer a wide variety of optometry services so we can meet the needs of every patient. Our goal is to keep your eyes healthy and help you maintain your vision. This begins with scheduling an eye exam. Routine eye care is vital in catching issues like eye floaters early. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call us today.